The Expanded Scholar of the Week Program
Recognizing students who are excelling.
The Scholars of the Week program will showcases students who are aggressively pursuing their life’s career paths. Whether it’s a four – year higher education degree or specialized training to gain certification to immediately enter the workforce, there are students who are sitting high standards of achievement. Our scholars are top performers and have solid grades as well as civic and community service track records.
Local media recognition is a valuable tool that students can use to help set themselves apart from other applicants. The recognition given to our junior and senior high students will help them be more competitive when they apply for scholarships and admission to schools after high school.
The American Council on Education reports that all education received after high school increases the chances that the individual will earn good pay. Also, the more education received, the greater chance that individuals will get a job.
Whether it’s a university, junior college, or vocational school, post secondary education provides important benefits to the individual and to society.
There will be 104 scholars and top performers each year, two per week. A feature article will be devoted to his or her story, including a photo and an article highlighting his or her accomplishments.
To be eligible for the Scholar of the Week award the applicant must be a junior or senior attending a public school in Central Virginia. They must also have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and be a participant in community service activities.
A selection committee has been formed consisting of members from Richmond Public Schools, Petersburg Public Schools, Virginia State University, and Urban Views RVA. The committee will be responsible for reviewing and selecting the scholars and top performers.
About Urban Views RVA
Established in 2008 as a weekly newspaper, Urban Views Weekly was distributed throughout the Greater Richmond Area from as far north as Virginia Center Commons in Hanover to Petersburg in the south. The mission, then and now, is to showcase the positive side of life in the African American Community. In November 2017 Urban Views became a 100% internet newspaper. Our dba is Urban Views RVA and represents our embrace of our market and being a new generation of urban media. Urban Views is a Community Empowerment Business & Media Organization.
Junior & Senior Scholar of the Week Program
The local media recognition given to our junior and senior high students will help them to be more competitive when they apply for scholarships and admission to schools after high school.
Students and their parent/guardian will be invited to attend an end of school year rally held in their honor. Our first rally will be held in the spring of 2019.
Junior & Senior Scholar of the Week Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Scholar of the Week award, applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Attend a public school system located in Central Virginia;
- Be enrolled as a junior or senior in high school for the current academic year;
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher;
- Be a participant in extracurricular community service activities.
- Complete the accompanying application
- Provide report card and transcript of most recent grading period
- List your extracurricular, community, church or other activities in the order of importance to you. Indicate the dates you participated in the activity, positions held and the number of hours per week you spend on each activity. We realize that the way you spend your time outside the classroom may be affected by factors beyond your control, such as the need to work.
- Write a 250 – 500 word personal essay describing hobbies, interests and plans for the future.
- Please ask two individuals who know you well, but are not related to you, to submit letters of recommendation. At least one should be from a teacher or other school professional.
Urban Views RVA
Junior & Senior Scholar of the Week Application
*Applicant must be attending a school in Central Virginia*
Mail or Email the completed application, letters of recommendations and documentation to:
Urban Views RVA
6802 Paragon Place Suite 410
Richmond, VA 23230
Attn. Scholar of the Week