Luxury small ship ocean and river cruises have a lot in common. They both put an emphasis on destination and luxury amenities and have a range of offerings from adventurous to relaxing to cultural. You can choose between sipping your way through famous wine regions in Europe and exploring the glaciers of Antarctica. With so many possibilities, how do you even begin to choose?
We’ve experienced both — a river cruise and small ship ocean cruise. We have shared a lot of our travel experiences with you and we would be very happy to help you decide which type of cruiser you might be.
You could pull a name out of a hat or extensively research each and every destination or take this quick quiz to get you started on finding the perfect once-in-a-lifetime small ship ocean or river cruise for you.
Take the Quiz
What is the perfect cruise? Should you explore a new angle of an old favorite destination or try somewhere new and exciting? Should you find something relaxing or invigorating?
With so many cruise options out there, it can be hard to narrow down which one is perfect for you. This simple quiz can help you take the first step to find the right trip for you. So, are you a small ship ocean cruise or a river cruise kind of person? Let’s find out.
1) What is your favorite vacation activity?
- Relaxing and lounging in the sun
- Exploring as much of a region as possible
- Seeing as many destinations as possible
2) Which experience tops your travel bucket list?
- Swimming in a secluded lagoon
- Tasting your way through a famous region
- Experiencing the Caribbean like a local
3) How would your friends describe you?
- Cultured and tasteful
- Fun and spontaneous
- Dignified and worldly
4) What type of music do you prefer?
- Folk or classic rock
- Classical or jazz
- Anything as long as it suits the mood
5) What is most important to you?
- Spending as much time in the destination as possible
- Having plenty of time to relax and unwind
- Being able to explore beyond the port cities
6) What is your goal in traveling?
- Checking places off my bucket list
- Collect unforgettable experiences
- Take a break from the stresses of everyday life
Most people are familiar with river cruises. With all of the commercials on television and across the internet, you probably have a pretty strong image of a couple sipping wine on board and looking out at some romantic scene of old Europe.
What most people don’t know is the range of river cruise options available. Cruise themes can focus on specific seasonal events such as the tulips blossoming in the Netherlands or visiting the winter markets across Europe. They can also take travelers to unexpected locations like Luxor and the Valley of the Kings in Egypt or on a safari in South Africa.
Small Ship Ocean Cruises
When people picture ocean cruises they usually imagine monolithic ships. Luxury small ships couldn’t be further from them. Rather than thousands of passengers keeping themselves occupied with waterslides and live performances, small ship ocean cruises generally have only a few hundred passengers and are focused on bringing travelers into the heart of destinations.
For example, smaller ships have access to places like Bermuda where locals are going about their lives without the abundance of gift shops and familiar American chains. Smaller ocean cruises also have more access to restricted areas like the Galapagos and Antarctica.
So, are you a small ship ocean cruise or a river cruise kind of person?
You might be very surprised with your results!!