Students may apply for any specialty school for which they are eligible. Specialty schools offer unique programs and instructional settings to support students’ learning needs.
Specialty schools include:
- Franklin Military Academy, Open High School, Richmond Community High School, and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme at Thomas Jefferson High School.
All RPS students may apply to attend a school outside their zone through the Open Enrollment lottery.
- Out-of-zone schools also includes the STEM Academies at MLK Jr. Middle School, Henderson Middle School, and (new this year) the IB Middle Years Programme at Lucille Brown Middle School and Thomas Jefferson High School).
- Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts via a separate open enrollment lottery.
The Virginia Department of Education, in conjunction with localities, sponsors regional Governor’s Schools that serve high school students during the academic year.
- Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School for Government & International Studies, and Appomattox Regional Governor’s School for Arts & Technology.
- CodeRVA is an innovative, regional, public high school in central Virginia focused on preparing students for college and careers in computer science and coding.
Families will have until Tuesday, December 1st 2020 at 4:30 PM to submit applications in the Enroll RPS portal.
Virtual information sessions will be held during the course of the application window (10/28, 11/5, and 11/19), as well as on demand, and will cover new updates to the application process, a demonstration of the Enroll RPS portal, and a detailed look at specialty schools and governor’s schools.
To learn more about the process, and access additional resources on how to submit an application, visit www.rvaschools.net/enroll.