by Torski Dobson-Arnold
Why Use a Career Professional in your Job Search?
Today, as unemployment continues to hover around 8 or 9%, there are still millions of people in the United States that are unemployed or underemployed and seeking new employment opportunities. Experts now suggest that on average, it takes 18 months for a job seeker to secure a job opportunity. Part of this is due to the high volume of applicants in the labor market right now, but more of this process is due to the fact that as job seekers, we aren’t getting the job done with the tools we are utilizing to get that new job or the process we execute in the job search journey.
A recent online survey, completed by career coaches and resume writers across the country, suggests that when it comes to planning an effective job search strategy and preparing job search tools like the résumé and cover letter, over 80% of those looking for a job did NOT have a plan of action before they became unemployed. This means that when they lost their job, the résumé and cover letter were not updated, references had not been contacted in months, and their networking skills were almost nonexistent.
Why utilize a career professional in your job search? When job seekers use a career professional such as a résumé writer, career strategist, and/or interviewing coach, the process is much more timely and cost-effective.
Some of the most important reasons to use a career professional are as follows:
1. Job seekers who use career professionals get noticed quicker by recruiters and hiring managers. This means they are called more often for interviews, receive call-backs sooner from submitting résumés for open jobs and are more confident and prepared in the overall job search process.
2. Job seekers who use career professionals exhibit more confidence and, therefore, stand out to recruiters and hiring managers who are seeking out the “superstars” to save time and money in the hiring process.
3. Job seekers who use career professionals, on average, receive job offers quicker and far more money than those job seekers who try to find a job on their own.
4. Job seekers who use career professionals are more prepared for phone and in-person interviews because of the thorough examination of their career history while preparing the résumé and cover letter with a career professional.
5. Job seekers who use career professionals are taught through reinforcements that career planning is an ongoing process and are given the know-how and steps to continue to effectively manage their career even after their time spent with a career professional has ended.
So, the big question is, are you using a career professional to find your next job? If you want to get noticed quicker and stand out in your job hunt and you are not using a career professional, you are wasting precious time and money spinning your wheels alone. Many of us use tax professionals this time of the year to help us navigate the changes in tax law and get back all of the monies we are entitled to in filing our taxes, right? So why wouldn’t we want the same results when it comes to finding that next job which brings us our financial livelihood on a day-to-day basis? Don’t leave this process to chance or luck. Contact the consultants at Your Career Confidence, LLC today to get your FREE 12-second resume critique and plan your job search success today! Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org right now!